Tuesday, September 21, 2010

...ears that can hear the grass grow!

I was never good at biology...but I guess I can safely state that cats seem to have one of the best set of ears in the animal kingdom.  I have seen cats deeply asleep (apparently!) and yet their ears seem to be on constant alert.  It's almost impossible to sneak up on a cat (though obviously there are always exemptions).  I personally hate cats, other than Garfield, but that is another topic.

Jennifer's auditory senses seem to be of a entirely different category altogether.  I have an example to explain.

Bangalore celebrated Ganesha Chaturthi last week.  Visually, it is quite nice to see lots and lots of decorated Ganesha's in the city...but the festival is hard on the ears!  There are drums, crackers, fireworks, people whistling and so on and so forth...most of which takes place from 10 pm onwards!!!  And since it is a religious festival, nobody seems to be in the mood to complain.

Obviously, the very thought of Ganesha and Divali  brings a shudder to a first-time dad.  With the entire foundations of the city quivering under the audio-assault of the celebrating masses, I always worry if my kid will be able to get a decent night's sleep.  I mean for a person who hasn't been on this earth for a year yet, these festivals might be too overwhelming.  

So, Ganesha arrived.  And it was as expected.  The mass of believers would carry out their processions only once lights dimmed in the living rooms.  Drums would start their rhythm once people turned off their TVs.  Crackers start bursting once people cosy up into their blankets.  Typical Ganesha celebration.

Jenny was already asleep by the time the spectacle started.  But here comes the shocker.  We must have had at least 6 processions pass by our window during the last one week.  Jenny hasn't woken up to a single one of them!  She just slept through them.  She didn't even turn or toss in her sleep!

And its not that she is hard of hearing...no, she isn't.  And I have an example for that as well.  The moment I cough or put on my slippers or clear my throat or do anything in these lines while she sleeps, she shows signs of waking up!  I don't know how she does it!  Crackers are fine, but dad coughing?  Or hundreds of people walking/whistling/dancing by our window is acceptable, but dad putting on his slipper?  God forbid while Jenny baby is sleeping!

I am yet to figure out this enigma that is my daughter.  And I doubt I shall ever completely succeed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment