Thursday, April 29, 2010

Mystics are always right, aren't they?


India - Land of the mystics...ask any foreigner...or read Asterix or Tintin...India is the land of mysticism and mystery to almost all of them. Ok, I agree that it is a stereotype, but it is still a pretty strong image. I mean, whom would people believe; me from a small village in Kerala or a high profile reporter on National Geographic who shows India as being the land of fakirs and gurus???

Having said this much, it is but natural that even I would give a certain amount of credibility to what people say, especially when they seem to have the 'wisdom of age' to back them up. So if someone who is older to me looks my wife straight into her eyes and tells her, "It will be a boy", who am I to argue? And during my wife's nine months of pregnancy, this seemed to be the unwavering prediction of quite a lot of people whom we met. Somehow, my wife was exhibiting 'the signs'; she had 'the look'; she had the 'size' (wife, please forgive me for this!), etc...etc...

So, even though it did not matter to us what the gender of the baby would be, we somehow got mentally convinced that we would be blessed with a son. Among all the possible names we thought of, I would say majority were male names, and just a couple of female ones, just to seem fair to both genders.

And guess what happened? I had to ask the nurse twice on the day of my child's birth what the gender was, 'coz I was sure I heard her wrong when she told me, "It's a girl!" Thus, on October 31st, my baby girl, Jennifer, was born. And since then, life has change drastically....every day has been an experience...every moment has been a pleasure...the future is met with a pleasant sensation of anticipation (and dread, thank you very much media!)...I guess that's what parenting is all about.

This blog is about our life with Jennifer. It may not be a day-to-day account of what is happening. It may not be chronologically accurate either. But I hope I can share and express my experiences in such a manner that my child can one day read about how bringing her up has enriched the lives of her parents.

5 comments:

  1. i am sure she would love to read this blog, and i do hope you would post here regularly so that she doesn't later complain that there was just one page to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tilj i too had heard of this exibiting signs, she has the look etc when my sis was pregnant.Though i dint believe it at the time, it caught me off guard when the predictions came true and i began to think that some people do have these skills and they are to be treated with reverence.Thanks to your blog my faith in rationale is restored :) The blog is a good thought,though am surprised that you find the time to pursue it. As I see it raising a kid is a full time job. Nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess the reason why a pretty lil princess is wrapped in a baby boy blue blanket is explained :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...what an idea sirji!!! Gud gud!! This will b the perfect gift to 'jen-jenny-jennifer'...and as Suyasha told don't give Jennifer a chance to complain later :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good you've decided to share your writing with mankind. Hope to read more soon.....maybe me boys can also feature once in a while...

    ReplyDelete