Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A hairy experience

Children inherit all sorts of things from their parents.  Some share behavioural aspects, some share looks, some share pet-peeves, some share likes and dislikes, etc.  Jennifer has her share of things that she shares with me and some that she shares with her mother.  But of all things she could have gotten from me, she got my hair!


Let me take you down memory lane.  It's the 80's Germany.  The pop band 'Boney M' was a huge hit all over the US and Europe.  Thanks to the lead singer in the group and couple of other factors, a particular hairstyle called 'the afro' was popular among people who had curly hair.  Now, in general, Germans have straight hair.  I was born a coloured child with black, curly hair in Germany.  Obviously, my hairstyle was 'the afro'.  It almost came naturally to me.  Here is a photo to prove it.  Yup...that's me...not yet walking but having sporting a mane of hair!  Our German family friends used to love it.  They would ask my parents for a lock of my hair for good luck!  Combing was never easy...my parents usually had to help me out...but in short: my hairstyle was unmistakeable.


Now my kid is a girl!  The Afro was surely not meant for women...so I pity her for having gotten this particular characteristic from me.  In India, people have all sorts of advices on how to 'get rid of curly hair'.  The most accepted practice that people seem to unanimously accept is to shave the hair and 'good hair will grow'!  Unlike my 'bad hair'!!!


Jenny might only be six months old, but combing her hair was already making my wife dread taking her anywhere, "It's very difficult to comb her hair."  Obviously I wouldn't hear of it; I survived childhood without people making fun of any unkempt hair, and my daughter would be fine, too.  But the more the hair grew, the more we became aware of the practical problems.  So, we decided it was time for a 'trim'.


I don't intend to sound sexist now, but looks matter a lot to women.  And being a good father, I thought I shouldn't deprive my little girl of any opportunity to look good.  Hence, the trimming of her hair was not done by us, but by a beautician (there is a beauty parlour just outside our house).  My wife took Jenny there, as these places all have the ominous sign outside: MEN NOT ALLOWED!  Apparently, Jenny was very amused by what was happening.  She neither fidgeted nor cried (to the surprise of the beautician) and was more curious about the snipping and snapping. My wife was given the cut hair in an envelope (to keep for memory) and they came home.


Now, Jennifer always have been a very cute child to us.  But the hairstyle has somehow enhanced this!  Her face has changed completely and she seemed a different person altogether!  Her entire head seems to have shrunk by half!  But it is so cute.  It may not be possible for me to run my hands through her locks, but it is nice nevertheless to stroke her head now.  And combing is not trouble at all now.  In fact, a quick pat with the palm does the trick, too!  And Jenny seems happy, too, having shed her 'burdens' from her head.


Whether the locks come back or not, or whether we still have to get her head shaved is a matter that still has time.  Right now, we are enjoying the looks for her first haircut and cannot but wonder what more we will get to see in future. :)

2 comments:

  1. You should have asked me, I could have shared a photo with more "Afro" hair....
    Love Jenny's photo....

    ReplyDelete