Thursday, May 6, 2010

If looks could kill....

I realise that this is a weird topic to write on immediately after having praised my daughter's smile, but why fight the natural flow of events?

All of us must have come across usages that explain the look that people have.  For instance, delinquents often seem to confess to their crimes when the interrogating officer makes them uncomfortable with his stare (at least in movies this happens!).  Or some faces in documentaries are unforgettable because of the pain in people's eyes that one can see.  Very often, it is impossible to say 'no' to someone because of the look in their face.  People in love can often be spotted because of 'the look'...and the list continues.  

In the same manner, my daughter has a look (and I am yet to figure out from whom in our families she got it from!).  If anyone had asked me, I would have said (before!) that the easiest thing to do is to make a baby smile.  I mean, how difficult could it be?  A few goo-goo sounds...a few funny faces...a little bit of this and that...and presto!  A smiling baby!  Wrong.

This girl can make me uncomfortable if she wants to.  She would look you straight into your eyes and keep staring, without wavering, in a serious fashion.  And not just for a minute or two...she can keep staring.  Nothing what one does or says would make her smile or turn her face away.  When she starts doing that, a hundred thoughts start going to my head, "My God, is she angry?  Did I do anything wrong?  Did I hurt her?  Is she upset?  Was the food bad?  Did I disturb her?"  It's an instantaneous guilt-trip that she sends me on.  This picture (though it shows how serious she can be) has been taken on a day when she was that serious...and still she looks more serious than I often can be!!!

I already keep thinking that I should guide her to a career where she can capitalise on this 'gift' of hers.  If it comes naturally to her, why not make utmost use of it!  Of course I am just kidding.  But still....who would have thought babies could stare one down! 

2 comments:

  1. i don't even have to look at jennifer to tell where she got if from... of course from you!!
    anuja is way too innocent to give it to her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course she got that look frm her dad, there is no doubt abt that... regardless I love my baby!!! she is just soooo prefect:D

    ReplyDelete